Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A car for every lifestyle

As we go through different stages in our lives our car needs change. In my early twenties my needs were very simple. It was me, myself and I living a lifestyle that allowed, even encouraged, driving two door coupes. I worked my way through a number of coupes, such as an 88 Shelby Daytona, 91 Honda Civic SI Hatchback, 89 Toyota Celica GT, and 2006 Honda Civic SI to name a few. My philosophy was: I sit in the front, so what do I care about how much room is in the back seat? I will never be sitting there.

Now, in my early thirties, thoughts of family are on my brain, and again I find myself reassessing my car needs. I am still driving coupes, alternating between a 2009 Honda Civic SI and a 2004 Mazda RX8, although technically my RX8 is considered a four door, but I am starting to fear the impending change. In a desperate attempt to hold on to my youth I try to convince myself that I can make the coupe work with a family. This dream was recently shattered when I had to take my nephew, with car seat, out for the day. After this trip, I realized making it work was just a dream and once the family comes, I will not only be adding a couple of little ones, I will also be adding two extra car doors.

Car companies realize that people’s needs change early on, thus the invention of offering different models by the same manufacturer. The core idea is that within the same brand, a buyer is able to move up to different models depending on needs.

Buyers must also realize, as I have done, albeit reluctantly, that your vehicle needs change over time and these evolving needs need to be taken into consideration before making any purchases.

Based on my calculations, it will be 20+ years before it will be practical for me to own another coupe, but I am a car guy and often not very practical.

1 comment:

  1. I like how there's actually three of you. I feel like I'm getting added value. Blog posts need more picture though.

    ReplyDelete